When a Mama goes on a healthy diet, this usually includes genuine foods. The fresh, single ingredient fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and herbs that grow on the earth. The same should be true of your beauty routine. Go on a healthy diet of single ingredient products to improve your skin.
Unfortunately, it’s tough to come by skin care brands that avoid harmful chemicals, carcinogens, irritants, synthetic scents, or ingredients that have unknown side effects. Our skin doesn’t require special additives or potent man made products to be healthy. Our body – skin, hair, and nails – crave genuine nutrients.
Here are our products which boost your body, complete with an ingredient list of one.
Castor oil has received special praise lately for it’s amazing benefits for eyelash growth. But it’s quantity of vitamin E and omega fatty acids work wonders for your hair (including eyebrows) and skin as well. It’s extracted from the castor bean and may also be called ricinus oil.
Buy: 100% pure pressed castor oil.
- Skin moisturizer (use as a lotion)
- To speed up the healing of wounds (gentle apply over clean wound, then bandage)
- To condition and enhance the growth of hair (apply to eyelashes, eyebrows, and head)
- Fights acne with it’s antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties (apply as a face toner)
- Soothe a sunburn (dilute 1:1 with coconut oil)
- Learn more about the internal uses of castor oil here.
Coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, plus is is comprised of 92% saturated fat (the good kind of fat). You may consider this an ingredient for the kitchen, but it is one of the staple items for an all-natural (and one ingredient) beauty routine.
Buy: 100% unrefined organic coconut oil, or fractionated coconut oil (in liquid form), or expeller pressed coconut oil
- Nourishes and conditions hair (apply as a hair mask)
- Moisturizes skin (use as a lotion)
- Can reduce cellulite when applied on the skin
- As a body scrub (mix with equal parts sugar)
- Shaving cream
- As a natural lubricant
- Fosters nail growth (rub on nails and cuticles before bed)
- Anti-hair frizz (rub a small amount between your hands and then into your hair)
- As a deep hair condition (apply to hair and leave on for several hours, then wash out with 2-3 rounds of shampoo)
- Learn more about the internal and external uses of coconut oil here.
Argan oil is another well known beauty product of only one ingredient. The argan tree produces kernels that are pressed into argan oil. It’s rich in antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin E, and linoleic acid (which helps fight acne). It’s known for being a safe skin product that doesn’t clog pores.
Buy: 100% eco-certified organic argan oil, cold-pressed
- To smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Nighttime moisturizer (rub one drop into face and neck)
- Add a few drops to your homemade face toner
- As a face scrub (mix a few drops with 2 tablespoons of sugar)
- To reduce oily skin (argan oil reduces sebum production)
- Heal acne, bug bites, razor burn or rashes (simply apply over the affected area)
- Lip condition (apply like chapstick)
- Decreases stretch marks
Olive oil has been around for ages. Although it may be a widely used cooking oil, it’s benefits extend to your beauty products too. It doesn’t clog your pores and won’t irritate your skin. Plus it smells divine!
Buy: 100% extra virgin olive oil, from Italy, Spain, or the Mediterranean
- Hair condition (apply as you normally use condition)
- For a sheen to your hair (run a few drops through freshly blow dried hair)
- Moisturizer (use as a standard body or face lotion that won’t clog pores)
- Lip refreshment (apply to rejuvenate your lips, or combine with a bit of sugar for a gentle scrub)
- Can prevent aging lines and wrinkles on your face (thank you antioxidants!)
- Cuticle oil (rub into cuticles to rehydrate them)
- Shaving cream (that helps your razor glide and nourishes your legs at the same time)
- Eye makeup remover (apply with a cotton pad then wash your face with a mild cleanser)
An all-natural beauty routine
It’s easier to achieve an all-natural beauty routine, even as a busy Mama! Experiment with one of these oils (especially if you already have some in the house). Looking for more ideas?
DIY All-natural face mask (that reduces pores!)
5 Tips to look good without makeup
The Right Way To Wash Your Face