I mentioned on Facebook yesterday how I’ve cut gluten out of my diet again. Not to the point where I check labels on everything including things like soy sauce, but mainly bread products. As I said, it’s just something personal for me that I’ve noticed works. I feel better, have more energy, have lost weight, my skin looks better and a number of things that I know you do not want me to get in to. (Starts with di ends in gestion.)
Because my husband is also gluten-free and my 16-year-old daughter has noticed she doesn’t feel very well after eating bread, I’ve been on the hunt for fast, easy, family-friendly recipes for our weeknights. They need to fill us up and not include bread. I also have two sons, a 15 and 10-year-old to feed.
The two easiest types of dishes so far have been Mexican and Mediterranean. I could live off Mexican food. Last night’s meal was Mexican and it was delicious. We also had a very busy night planned of picking up my daughter’s car (EEK I have a driver- prayers and positive thoughts please) and eating at a new yogurt shop (that we never found – please don’t get me started). I needed to be able to throw dinner together pronto!
Here you go. An easy, fast, delicious, gluten-free, crowd-pleasing dish.
Easy Chicken Recipe: Mexican Chicken Rice BowlPrint
- 2 chicken tenderloins per person
- 4 cups of cooked rice (brown or white, your choice)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Grated co-jack cheese for garnish
- Pico de gallo for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
- salt for taste
- pepper for taste
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Heat skillet with a little butter (or oil if you don’t like to use butter). Add chicken tenderloins. Salt and pepper one side and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn. Salt and pepper other side. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Cook until no longer pink inside, fork goes through easily and chicken has a nice brown color on outside. Set aside and let cool while rice is still cooking.
- 3. Heat black beans on stove or in microwave. Set aside.
- 4. Slice chicken after it’s cooled.
- 5. Fill bowl with rice. Layer with beans, chicken, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream and salt & pepper to taste.
For picky eaters you can just do rice, chicken and cheese. Melt the cheese a little on top of the chicken and flavor a little with salt & pepper if they like.
Adapted from The Live In Kitchen
I also served strawberries with this. It was a huge hit! As for our yogurt shop debacle…we ended up getting Frappes somewhere. All was well.
Do you have a favorite family friendly weeknight meal? I would absolutely love some ideas? Please share in the comments below!