This Mexican Chicken Casserole dish is easy to make and makes Mexican food lovers rejoice.
- 1 ½ pounds of shredded chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup of onion
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 16 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn (drained)
- 2 Tbsp of chopped cilantro (plus 1 Tbsp more for garnish)
- 1 4.5 ounce sm can of Old El Paso green chilies
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- 1 16 ounce can Old El Paso refried beans (black or pinto)
- 1 10 ounce can Old El Paso mild enchilada sauce
- ½ cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
- 2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant and onion is opaque. About 2 minutes.
- 3. Add the chili powder, salt, onion flakes, garlic powder and cumin. Next add the black beans, corn and can of green chilies. Stir and heat through.
- 4. Stir in the shredded chicken and cilantro. Heat through. Set aside.
- 5. Grease a 9×12 casserole pan. Layer the shredded corn tortillas on the bottom of the pan.
- 6. Pour the chicken mixture on top of the corn tortillas and spread out evenly.
- 7. Using the entire can of refried beans, dollop the beans over the chicken mixture. The chicken should still be warm, so wait a minute or two for the beans to warm. This will make it easier to spread them out. Spread the refried beans as best you can.
- 8. Pour the entire can of enchilada sauce evenly over the beans and chicken mixture.
- 9. Top with the shredded cheese.
- 10. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and dish is bubbling.